October 5, 2008

SEA TURTLE.

I went SCUBA diving today...it was amazing. A sea turtle landed on my head. I thought someone managed to get above me, but as I looked up I noticed that familiar pattern and was in complete awe. SEA TURTLE. It was swimming with us for a while and bumping into us...life changing. It is so amazing to be 80 ft down invading this other world and have a creature be so welcoming and playful and just...wow. No words can describe. There were a ton of black tip reef sharks, a lion fish, and I saw an octopus surging because it was bothered and then shoot out and swim to another rock...it was amazing.

In other news, we turned in our revamped proposals. Here we go.

The Project:
I will be studying the pink whiptail sting ray, Himantura fai. I am looking at the frequency of scars and injuries in two ecotourism/feeding areas and the two paired sites. I will use the distinctive scars and markings with an underwater video camera to do a version of a mark recapture study and estimate population size as well as site fidelity...

I am on top of the world right now. I am living the life I have dreamed about for so long and it is better than I ever imagined.

My people rock and I miss you alllllll. I wish you could see it here for yourselves or through my eyes. Pictures do not do it justice.

love,
who else.




on a boat to the motu




before my dive with one of my roommates, KD



Kd, mmeeee, ben, kari, and molly on the dive boat


SEA TURTLE

No comments: